Sociodemographic characteristics and self-care management knowledge of patients with an ostomy
2.20.16 - Improving self-care in ostomy patients and their family carers: randomized controlled clinical trial
An increasing number of patients worldwide are living with an ostomy. Among them, self-care management skills and stoma self-care abilities are associated with better quality of life.
To identify the sociodemographic and clinical characteristics of Italian ostomy patients and investigate their knowledge of stoma management.
A questionnaire was used to gather the sociodemographic and clinical data of 433 adult patients. Participants responded to a nine-item survey assessing their knowledge of stoma management.
Respondents reported having received extensive or adequate information in 64.4% of cases, and the remaining 35.6% reported receiving little or no information at any time. The health professional who imparted at least adequate information was a stoma nurse specialist in 32.1% of cases, usually during admission (24.0%) or before and during admission (19.6%).
This study demonstrated that most patients received adequate information regarding the ostomy.
Ostomy; Patient education; Patient knowledge; Stoma; Stoma management.